Before choosing any medical treatment, it’s essential to consider various factors, including personal opinions and public perceptions. When it comes to LASIK surgery for the eyes, understanding its positive impacts can help ease any reservations or apprehensions you may have.
LASIK surgery is a procedure that corrects common eye refractive errors, offering freedom from glasses and contact lenses. This article will discuss the advantages of LASIK surgery and the benefits you can experience after a successful procedure. But first, let’s briefly explore what LASIK is and why it is beneficial.
What is LASIK Surgery?
LASIK Eye Surgery (Laser In Situ Keratomileusis) comes under the category of refractive eye treatment. It involves using a laser beam to reshape the cornea.
LASIK is one of the most common laser vision correction procedures where a surgeon creates a flap in the cornea’s outer layer to get to the tissue underneath. The surgeon then uses a cool excimer laser to reshape your cornea and correct your vision. The flap made by the surgeon can be made with the help of a blade/microkeratome or a femtosecond laser.
Consequently, the need for glasses is alleviated.
Why is LASIK surgery done?
LASIK Refractive eye surgery solves common eyesight problems, such as nearsightedness (myopia), farsightedness (hyperopia), and astigmatism. An ophthalmologist may suggest LASIK surgery based on assessing your Refractive eye errors. These refractive eye errors are a common cause of vision problems.
Advantages of LASIK on Lifestyle
Discussing the lifestyle changes of LASIK surgery help people considering the surgery make more informed decisions. Here are a few advantages of LASIK surgery.
Improved Vision for daily activities: LASIK corrects common eye errors, providing clearer and sharper vision, enhancing daily activities, and reducing dependence on glasses or contact lenses.
Benefits to Sportsperson:
Athletes are one segment of patients that significantly benefit from LASIK. It results in tremendous convenience for the athletes. It also improves the overall performance. Players primarily related to Football, Cricket, Tennis, and Golf achieve significant benefits from LASIK.
These are the games of speed and require sharp eyesight to reflect.
Also, there is a high risk of breaking the glasses if you are wearing glasses while playing. The contact lenses may also get dusty and cloudy due to regular playing on the ground. LASIK surgery is effective for such athletes providing enhanced movement with the help of clearer eyesight and less dependability on eyewear.
Baseball players also require sharp vision. LASIK surgery helps in improving vision without glasses and contact lenses. Swimmers also cannot swim with their contact lenses. It will increase the chances of eye infection. Boxers also have to be without their glasses to box on. LASIK surgery is the perfect choice for them.
Better vision for Athletes: Excellent vision is necessary for athletes. Perfect vision is required, whether hitting the ball or anticipating the opponent’s move. Better vision improves the performance of athletes without any risk of eye injury due to breaking glasses or contact lens-related eye infections.
Get back to the Form: Players can get back to their form quickly with the help of LASIK surgery for their eyes. It offers fast recovery. As a result, athletes who have undergone LASIK surgery may soon join their training sessions.
Active Lifestyle: With precise vision, you can engage in physical activities and sports more comfortably and confidently without worrying about eyewear restrictions.
Convenience: The freedom from constantly wearing glasses or dealing with contact lenses simplifies daily routines and eliminates the hassle of cleaning and maintenance.
Uninterrupted Outdoor Activities: LASIK allows you to enjoy outdoor hobbies, like swimming, hiking, or skiing, without worrying about glasses fogging up or getting damaged.
Clearer Night Vision: LASIK can improve night vision and reduce halos or glare, making driving safer and more comfortable at night.
Ease of Travel: LASIK eliminates the need to carry and pack extra eyewear, making travelling more convenient and worry-free.
What to expect in LASIK results?
LASIK provides improved vision without the hassle of glasses or contact lenses. Generally, there is a good chance of achieving 20/20 vision after refractive eye surgery.
Mostly, people who have undergone LASIK refractive surgery for their eyes no longer need to use their glasses or contact lenses for most of their activities. But there will be a dependence on eyewear for specific activities, and it is advised to take care of your vision and implement all the precautions your doctor suggests.
Your results also get affected by your specific refractive error. People who have a low grade of nearsightedness tend to have the most success with refractive surgery.
Who can opt for LASIK?
- The age of the person must be at least 18 years.
- The person must be in a good state of general health as LASIK is not advised in certain conditions such as diabetes, glaucoma, herpes of the eye or cataracts.
- The person should not be pregnant or nursing.
- The eyeglass prescription should be stable. It may be affected in case you are myopic; if yes, it is advisable to postpone LASIK until the prescription for eyeglasses becomes stable.
- The doctor will also measure if your cornea is very thin. This may be a resisting factor in the surgery.
- You should not take certain prescription drugs or oral prednisone, which may also change the eye’s refraction.
- Also, consult your doctor about Monovision, which means correcting one eye for distance vision and the other for near vision, which is possible with LASIK.
Key Points to Consider Before the Procedure
- During the evaluation, your eye doctor will evaluate your medical and surgical history and give you an eye examination to evaluate your vision and assess whether you can undergo the procedure safely.
- Your doctor will also look for the signs of any eye infection, inflammation, dry eye, large pupils, or high eye pressure.
- Your doctor will provide specific guidelines depending on your contact type and how long you’ve been a lens wearer.
- Before surgery, your doctor will discuss the risks and benefits of LASIK surgery, what to expect before and after surgery, and any questions you may have.
What precautions should you take after LASIK?
- Just avoid rubbing your eyes following the surgery.
- Avoid driving until vision improves considerably
- Swimming must also be avoided for a few weeks following surgery
- Complete healing may take 4 to 6 weeks
When can you resume work?
Most people are seen to have resumed their work by the end of one week, although the vision improvement continues for 4-6 weeks.
Reach out to your eye doctor today for further questions you may have about LASIK and other eye surgeries. You can take a step towards a more active lifestyle with LASIK surgery.
If you want to learn more about refractive surgeries to correct your vison, schedule your LASIK consultation at Dr Ritika Dalal in Mumbai today!